Document Type : Full article
University of Tehran,
University of Tehran
Many industries produce large volumes of effluent which are made of oil and its derivatives; very common pollutants in the environment. The use of hydrophobic magnetic particles due to their low cost, low toxicity, and availability is one of the preferred methods for separating oil from water in oil spillage issues. This research aims at evaluating the effects of dopamine as a link in the hydrophobicity of carbonyl iron (CI) particles with stearic acid. In this connection, CI @ stearic acid and CI @ dopamine @ stearic acid have been synthesized. The FESEM analysis was used to observe the surface modification and structure of the particles. The magnetic properties of hydrophobic particles were also measured and the magnetic saturation of CI, CI @ stearic acid, and CI @ dopamine @ stearic acid were 200, 169, 131 emu/g respectively. Finally, the contact angle and adsorption capacity of two modified particles were measured. Based on the result, the static contact angles of water drops placed on the beds of the CI, CI @ stearic acid, and CI @ dopamine @ stearic acid were found to be 0°, 162.9°, and 168.24° respectively. The adsorption capacity range for CI@ stearic acid particles was 1.5 to 2.2 and for CI@ dopamine@ stearic acid particles was 1.8 to 3.2. Therefore, the result showed that dopamine had a good effect as a link to the hydrophobicity of carbonyl iron particles.
- Gupta, R. K., Dunderdale, G. J., England, M. W. and Hozumi, A., “Oil/water separation techniques: A review of recent progresses and future directions”,Journal of Materials Chemistry A, 5, 16025 (2017).
- Yong, J., Chen, F., Yang, Q., Bian, H., Du, G., Shan, C., Huo, J., Fang, Y. and Hou, X., “Oil-water separation: A gift from the desert”,Advanced Materials Interfaces, 3, 1 (2016).
- Guo, Z., Long, B., Gao, S., Luo, J., Wang, L., Huang, X., Wang, D., Xue, H. and Gao, J., “Carbon nanofiber based superhydrophobic foam composite for high performance oil/water separation”, Journal of Hazardous Materials, 402, 123838 (2021).
- Tian, G., Zhang, M., Yan, H., Zhang, J., Sun, Q. and Guo, R., “Nonfluorinated, mechanically stable, and durable superhydrophobic 3D foam iron for high efficient oil/water continuous separation”, Applied Surface Science, 527, 146861 (2020).
- Lu, H., Sha, S., Yang, S., Wu, J., Ma, J., Hou, C. and Sheng, Z., “The coating and reduction of graphene oxide on meshes with inverse wettability for continuous water/oil separation”, Applied Surface Science, 538, 147948 (2021).
- Raturi, P. and Singh, J. P., “An intelligent dual mode filtration device for separation of immiscible oil/water mixtures and emulsions”, Applied Surface Science, 484, 97 (2019).
- Wu, F., Pickett, K., Panchal, A., Liu, M. and Lvov, Y., “Superhydrophobic polyurethane foam coated with polysiloxane-modified clay nanotubes for efficient and recyclable oil absorption”, ACS Applied Materials and Interfaces, 11, 25445 (2019).
- Zhou, J., Zhang, Y., Yang, Y., Chen, Z., Jia, G. and Zhang, L., “Silk fibroin-graphene oxide functionalized melamine sponge for efficient oil absorption and oil/water separation”, Applied Surface Science, 497, 143762 (2019).
- Huang, G., Lai, B., Xu, H., Jin, Y., Huo, L., Li, Z. and Deng, Y., “Fabrication of a superhydrophobic fabric with a uniform hierarchical structure via a bottom-blown stirring method for highly efficient oil-water separation”, Separation and Purification Technology, 258, (2021).
- Elmobarak, W. F. and Almomani, F., “Application of Fe3O4 magnetite nanoparticles grafted in silica (SiO2) for oil recovery from oil in water emulsions”, Chemosphere, 265, 129054 (2021).
- Zhan, B., Liu, Y., Zhou, W., Li, S., Chen, Z., Stegmaier, T., Han, Z. and Ren, L., “Multifunctional 3D GO/g-C3N4/TiO2 foam for oil-water separation and dye adsorption”, Applied Surface Science, 541, 148638 (2021).
- Shi, Y., Wang, B., Ye, S., Zhang, Y., Wang, B., Feng, Y., Han, W., Liu, C. and Shen, C., “Magnetic, superelastic and superhydrophobic porous thermoplastic polyurethane monolith with nano-Fe3O4 coating for highly selective and easy-recycling oil/water separation”, Applied Surface Science, 535, 147690 (2021).
- Sun, R., Yu, N., Zhao, J., Mo, J., Pan, Y. and Luo, D., “Chemically stable superhydrophobic polyurethane sponge coated with ZnO/epoxy resin coating for effective oil/water separation”, Colloids and Surfaces A: Physicochemical and Engineering Aspects, 611, 125850 (2021).
- Kong, W., Pan, Y., Bhushan, B. and Zhao, X., “Superhydrophilic Al2O3 particle layer for efficient separation of oil-in-water (O/W) and water-in-oil (W/O) emulsions”, Langmuir, 36, 13285 (2020).
- Cao, C., Wang, F. and Lu, M., “Superhydrophobic CuO coating fabricated on cotton fabric for oil/water separation and photocatalytic degradation”, Colloids and Surfaces A: Physicochemical and Engineering Aspects, 601, 125033 (2020).
- Wu, Z., Deng, W., Zhou, W. and Luo, J., “Novel magnetic polysaccharide/ graphene oxide @Fe3O4 gel beads for adsorbing heavy metal ions”, Carbohydrate Polymers, 216, 119 (2019).
- Zhang, B., Chen, S., Luo, H., Zhang, B., Wang, F. and Song, J., “Porous amorphous powder form phase-selective organogelator for rapid recovery of leaked aromatics and spilled oils”, Journal of Hazardous Materials, 384, 31414 (2020).
- Simonsen, G., Strand, M. and Øye, G., “Potential applications of magnetic nanoparticles within separation in the petroleum industry”, Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering, 165, 488 (2018).
- Zhang, L., Wu, J., Wang, Y., Long, Y., Zhao, N. and Xu, J., “Combination of bioinspiration: A general route to superhydrophobic particles”, Journal of the American Chemical Society, 134, 9879 (2012).
- Duan, C., Zhu, T., Guo, J., Wang, Z., Liu, X., Wang, H., Xu, X., Jin, Y., Zhao, N. and Xu, J., “Smart enrichment and facile separation of oil from emulsions and mixtures by superhydrophobic/ superoleophilic particles”, ACS Applied Materials and Interfaces, 7, 10475 (2015).
- Zhu, Q., Tao, F. and Pan, Q., “Fast and selective removal of oils from water surface via highly hydrophobic core-shell Fe2O3@C nanoparticles under magnetic field”, ACS Applied Materials and Interfaces, 2, 3141 (2010).
- Zhou, X., Zhou, W., Ju, D., Peng, Y., Zhou, L., Tang, S. and Wang, J., “A research on the preparation of oil-adsorbing hydrophobic porous resins by high internal phase emulsions (HIPEs) template”, IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Quantum Electronics, 26, 261 (2019).
- Rabbani, Y., Ashtiani, M. and Hashemabadi, S. H., “An experimental study on the effects of temperature and magnetic field strength on the magnetorheological fluid stability and MR effect”, Matter., 11, 4453 (2015).
- Rabbani, Y., Hajinajaf, N. and Tavakoli, O., “An experimental study on stability and rheological properties of magnetorheological fluid using iron nanoparticle core–shell structured by cellulose”, Journal of Thermal Analysis and Calorimetry, 135, 1687 (2019).
- Ashtiani, M., Hashemabadi, S. H. and Ghaffari, A., “A review on MRF preparation and stabilization”, Journal of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials, 374, 716 (2015).
- Xu, Z., Miyazaki, K. and Hori, T., “Dopamine-induced superhydrophobic melamine foam for oil/water separation”, Advanced Materials Interfaces, 2, 1 (2015).
- Moon, I. J., Kim, M. W., Choi, H. J., Kim, N. and You, C. Y., “Fabrication of dopamine grafted polyaniline/carbonyl iron core-shell typed microspheres and their magnetorheology”, Colloids and Surfaces A: Physicochemical and Engineering Aspects, 500, 137 (2016).
- Zhou, S., Jiang, W., Wang, T. and Lu, Y., “Highly hydrophobic, compressible, and magnetic polystyrene/Fe3O4/ graphene aerogel composite for oil-water separation”, Industrial and Engineering Chemistry Research, 54, 5460 (2015).
- Wu, H., Hao, L., Chen, C. and Zhou, J., “Superhydrophobic Fe3O4/OA magnetorheological fluid for removing oil slick from water surfaces effectively and quickly”, ACS Omega, 5, 27425 (2020).
- Li, Z., Zeng T., Lin, B., Jiang, L., Lin, E., Chen, J., Zhang, S., Tang, Y., He, F. and Li, D., “Effective preparation of magnetic superhydrophobic Fe3O4/PU sponge for oil-water separation”, Applied Surface Science, 427, 56 (2018).