Document Type : Full article
Department of Chemical Engineering, University of Mohaghegh Ardabili, Ardabil, Iran
Department of Chemistry, Ayatollah Boroujerdi University, Boroujerd, Iran
In an Iranian zinc smelter plant, nickel and cadmium are removed from the electrolyte solution at the cold purification stage with the help of zinc powder. This study tries to investigate the optimal conditions for the removal of these impurities through the response surface methodology by examining the effects of effective parameters on the process. The results of the experiments showed that cadmium was cemented by zinc powder much more conveniently than nickel. The interplay of parameters showed that increasing the concentration of zinc powder can reduce the time and temperature of the entire reaction. It also neutralized the effect of the changes of pH and mixing speed. The optimum conditions for the simultaneous removal of nickel and cadmium were obtained at 75 °C, the pH of 4.5, the residence time of 45 min, the mixing speed of 500 rpm, and 2 g/l of zinc powder. Under optimal conditions, more than 99 % of nickel and cadmium were removed from the electrolyte solution.
- Carrillo-Abad, J., Garcia-Gabaldon, M., Ortiz-Gandara, I., Bringas, E., Miren Urtiaga, A., Inmaculada Ortiz, I. and Perez-Herranz, V., “Selective recovery of zinc from spent pickling baths by the combination of membrane-based solvent extraction and electrowinning technologies”, Separation and Purification Technology, 151, 232 (2015).
- Carrillo-Abad, J., García-Gabaldón, M. and Pérez-Herranz, V., “pH effect on zinc recovery from the spent pickling baths of hot dip galvanizing industries”, Separation and Purification Technology, 177, 21 (2017).
- Behnajady, B., Balesini, A. and Moghaddam, J., “A new approach to the optimisation of zinc electrolyte cold purification process by Taguchi’s method”, Canadian Metallurgical Quarterly, 53 (3), 333 (2014).
- Behnajady, B. and Moghaddam, J., “Statistical evaluation and optimization of zinc electrolyte hot purification process by Taguchi method”, Journal of Central South University, 22 (6), 2066 (2015).
- Zhang, B., Yang, C., Zhu, H., Li, Y. and Gui, W., “Kinetic modeling and parameter estimation for competing reactions in copper removal process from zinc sulfate solution”, Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research, 52 (48), 17074 (2013).
- Kilicarslan, A. and Saridede, M. N., “Treatment of industrial brass wastes for the recovery of copper and zinc”, Separation Science and Technology, 50 (2), 286 (2015).
- Bayat, S., Aghazadeh, S. and Noaparast, M., “Germanium separation and purification by leaching and precipitation”, Journal of Central South University, 23 (9), 2214 (2016).
- Hossain, M. R., Julie, K. and Decker, S., “Separation of cadmium from cobalt electrolyte solution by solvent extraction method using modified D2EHPA”, Separation Science and Technology, 46 (11), 1822 (2011).
- Karbasi, M., Keshavarz Alamdari, E. and Amirkhani Dehkordi, E., “Electrochemical and anodic behaviors of MnO2/Pb nanocomposite in zinc electrowinning”, Journal of Applied Electrochemistry, 48 (3), 379 (2018).
- Su, C., Zhang, W. and Ghali, E., “Electrochemical investigation of electrolyte composition and electrolysis parameters during zinc electrowinning”, Journal of Applied Electrochemistry, 47 (8), 941 (2017).
- Wang, G. -W., Yang, Ch. and Zhu, H. -Q., “Reagent optimization for on-line simultaneous polarographic determination of trace amounts of Cu2+, Cd2+ and Co2+ in the presence of anextremely large excess of Zn2+”, Journal of Central South University, 23 (9), 2199 (2016).
- Larosa, C., Salerno, M., Nann, P. and Reverberi, A., “Cobalt cementation in an ethanol-water system: Kinetics and morphology of metal aggregates”, Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research,. 51 (51), 16564 (2012).
- Zeng, G., Zou, J., Peng, Q., Wen, H. and Xie, Y., “Reaction mechanism of cobalt cementation from high cobalt zinc sulphate solution by zinc dust”, Canadian Metallurgical Quarterly, 50 (1), 91 (2011).
- Safarzadeh, M. S. and Moradkhani, D., “The effect of heat treatment on selective separation of nickel from Cd–Ni zinc plant residues”, Separation and Purification Technology, 73 (2), 339 (2010).
- Fattahi, A., Rashchi, F. and Abkhoshk, E., “Reductive leaching of zinc, cobalt and manganese from zinc plant residue”, Hydrometallurgy, 161, 185 (2016).
- Safarzadeh, M. S., Dhawan, N., Birinci, M. and Moradkhani, D., “Reductive leaching of cobalt from zinc plant purification residues”, Hydrometallurgy, 106 (1-2), 51 (2011).
- Shayesteh, K., Abbasi, P., VahidFard, V. and Shahedi, M., “Simultaneous removal of nickel and cadmium during the cold purification of zinc sulfate solution”, Arabian Journal for Science and Engineering, 1 (2020).
- Krause, B. and Sandenbergh, R., “Optimization of cobalt removal from an aqueous sulfate zinc leach solution for zinc electrowinning”, Hydrometallurgy, 155, 132 (2015).
- Näsi, J., “Statistical analysis of cobalt removal from zinc electrolyte using the arsenic-activated process”, Hydrometallurgy, 73 (1), 123 (2004).
- Raghavan, R., Mohanan, P. and Verma, S., “Modified zinc sulphate solution purification technique to obtain low levels of cobalt for the zinc electrowinning process”, Hydrometallurgy, 51 (2), 187 (1999).
- Boyanov, B. S., Konareva, V. V. and Kolev, N. K., “Purification of zinc sulfate solutions from cobalt and nickel through activated cementation”, Hydrometallurgy, 73 (1), 163 (2004).
- Karlsson, T., Cao, Y., Colombus, Y. and Steenari, B., “Investigation of the kinetics and the morphology of cementation products formed during purification of a synthetic zinc sulfate electrolyte”, Hydrometallurgy, 181, 169 (2018).
- Boyanov, B., Konareva, V. and Kolev, N., “Removal of cobalt and nickel from zinc sulphate solutions using activated cementation”, Journal of Mining and Metallurgy, Section B: Metallurgy, 40 (1), 41 (2004).
- Dib, A. and Makhloufi, L., “Mass transfer correlation of simultaneous removal by cementation of nickel and cobalt from sulphate industrial solution containing copper: Part II: Onto zinc powder”, Chemical Engineering Journal, 123 (1), 53 (2006).
- Dib, A. and Makhloufi, L., “Mass transfer correlation of simultaneous removal by cementation of nickel and cobalt from sulfate industrial solution containing copper: Part I: Onto rotating zinc electrode disc”, Chemical Engineering Journal, 130 (1), 39 (2007).
- Van der Pas, V. and Dreisinger, D., “A fundamental study of cobalt cementation by zinc dust in the presence of copper and antimony additives”, Hydrometallurgy, 43 (1-3), 187 (1996).
- Güler, E. and Seyrankaya, A., “Precipitation of impurity ions from zinc leach solutions with high iron contents-A special emphasis on cobalt precipitation”, Hydrometallurgy, 164, 118 (2016).
- Nelson, A., Wang, W., Demopoulos, G. and Houlachi., G., “The removal of cobalt from zinc electrolyte by cementation: A critical review”, Mineral Processing and Extractive Metallurgy Review, 20 (4-6) 325 (2000).
- Zaheri, Sh., “High temperature and high pressure cobalt cementation onto zinc dust”, Sc. Thesis, University of British Columbia, (2015).
- Xu, R., Ma, K. and Guo, Z., “Activation mechanism of Sb2O3 during removal of cobalt from zinc sulphate solution”, Hydrometallurgy, 82 (3), 150 (2006).
- Casaroli, S., Cohen, B., Tong, A., Linkson, P. and Petrie, J., “Cementation for metal removal in zinc electrowinning circuits”, Minerals Engineering, 18 (13), 1282 (2005).
- Kayin, P. B., “Removal of cobalt from zinc sulfate solution by cementation prior to zinc electrowinning”, Sc. Thesis, Middle East Technical University, (2003).
- Friedrich, B., Kruger, J. and Mendez-Bernal, G., “Alternative solution purification in the hydrometallurgical zinc production”, Metalurgija, 8 (2), 85 (2002).
- Bøckman, O., Østvold, T., Voyiatzis, G. and Papatheodorou, G., “Raman spectroscopy of cemented cobalt on zinc substrates”, Hydrometallurgy, 55 (1), 93 (2000).
- Nelson, A., “Novel activators in cobalt removal from zinc electrolyte by cementation., M. Sc. Thesis,, McGill University, Montreal, (1998).
- Lu, J., Dreisinger, D. and Cooper, W., “Cobalt precipitation by reduction with sodium borohydride”, Hydrometallurgy, 45 (3), 305 (1997).
- Singh, V., “Technological innovation in the zinc electrolyte purification process of a hydrometallurgical zinc plant through reduction in zinc dust consumption”, Hydrometallurgy, 40 (1-2), 247 (1996).
- Polcaro, A. M., Palmas, S. and Dernini, S., “Kinetics of cobalt cementation on zinc powder”, Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research, 34 (9), 3090 (1995).
- Van der Pas, V., “A fundamental study of cobalt cementation with zinc dust in the presence of copper and antimony additives”, Sc. Thesis, University of British Columbia, (1995).
- Lew, R. W., “The removal of cobalt from zinc sulphate electrolytes using the copper-antimoney process”, Sc. Thesis, University of British Columbia, (1994).
- Tozawa, K., Nishimura, T., Akahori, M. and Malaga, A., “Comparison between purification processes for zinc leach solutions with arsenic and antimony trioxides”, Hydrometallurgy, 30 (1-3), 445 (1992).
- Blaser, M. S. and O’Keefe, T. J., “Screening design test for cobalt cementation from zinc electrolyte”, Metallurgical and Materials Transactions B, 14 (3), 495 (1983).