Document Type : Regular Article
- Mahdi Norouzi 1
- Seyyed Ghorban Hosseini 2
- Manoochehr Fathollahi 3
- Seyyed Alireza Rezvan Leylan 2
- sajjad ebrahimi 2
- Azam Karimian 4
1 tehran lavizan malek e ashtar university
2 Faculty of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering, Malek-Ashtar University of Technology, Tehran, Iran.
3 Faculty of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering, Malek-Ashtar University of Technology, Tehran, Iran
4 Department of Chemistry, Faculty of Science, Gonabad University, Gonabad, Iran
Potassium superoxide tablets can be used in respiratory air regeneration systems within confined spaces such as spacecraft, submarines, coal mines and individual and collective masks. These tablets react with moisture and carbon dioxide in air and release oxygen. In this study, The effect of five parameters; the pressing pressure (0.5, 2, 4 and 5 bar), humidity (10, 15, 20, 25 %), Catalyst additives (CuSO4.5H2O, (Cu2(OH)3Cl2)2, CuO, TiO2), H2O Absorbent additives (SiO2, LiCl, CaO, SiO2.Al2O3) and CO2 Absorbent additives (LiOH, NaOH, KOH, Ca(OH)2) were investigated in four levels using the Taguchi method. The carbon dioxide absorption and Surface Erosion were selected as criteria for optimizing the performance of Potassium Superoxide tablets based on the analysis of variance and the optimal conditions of each were evaluated separately and simultaneously. The optimal conditions for the higher carbon dioxide absorption and smaller Surface Erosion include the Humidity of 15 %, pressing pressure of 4 bar, CuSO4.5H2O as the Catalyst, SiO2 as the H2O absorbent and Ca(OH)2 as the CO2 absorbent. Experiments performed in the performance test show that the optimized tablets in this study show a 28 % and 79 % increase in the carbon dioxide absorption compared to commercial tablets and pure potassium superoxide respectively. The results showed that the catalysts with copper cation had the greatest effect on the performance of the tablets.
- Foregger, R., “Use of alkali metal and alkaline earth peroxides and superoxides for control of atmospheres in closed spaces: Annotated bibliography”, Environ. Chem., 255, 1 (1996).
- Hayyan, M., Hashim, M. A. and AlNashef, I. M., “Superoxide ion: Generation and chemical implications”, Rev., 116, 5 (2016).
- Rainford, J. and Gradwell, P., Ernsting's aviation and space medicine, Fourth edition., Boca Raton, CRC Press, (2016).
- Stull, J. O. and White, M. G., “Air revitalization compounds: A literature survey”, Environ. Chem., 133, 2, (1985).
- White, M. G., Engineering analysis-control of breathing atmospheres using alkali metal superoxides, Demetrius Theodore, Paris, (1982).
- Holquist, J. B., Klaus, D. M. and Graf, J. C., “Characterization of potassium superoxide and a novel packed bed configuration for closed environment air revitalization”, Proceedings of 44th International Conference on Environmental Systems, Arizona, (2014).
- White, M. G., “Control of breathing atmospheres using alkali metal superoxides”, an Engineering analysis, Georgia Institute of Technology, (1981).
- Mausteller, J. W., “Oxygen‐generation systems”, Kirk-Othmer encyclopedia of chemical technology, John Wiley & Sons, (2000).
- Jing, L., Long, Z. J., Sheng, W., Zheng, Z., Yang, X. and Qian K. L., “Experimental study on oxygen supply performance influence factors of potassium superoxide oxygen board used in confined space”, Mater. Res., 363, 726, (2013).
- Hosseini, S. G., Fathollahi, M., Motamedalshariaty, S. H. and Shokouhian, R., “Fabrication of potassium superoxide/fiberglass nanocomposite as chemical air revitalization system by novel electrohydrodynamic technique”, Electrostat., 108, 103, (2020).
- Wang, S., Zhang, T. and Jin, L., “Revitalization of air using a potassium superoxide plate in hypoxic space: Performance and kinetic model under natural convection conditions”, Indoor Built Environ., 599, 28, (2019).
- Wolfgang, E., Carl-Ernst, V. S., Rainer, E. and Bernhard, W., US Pat. 4731197A, Draegerwerk AG and Co KGaA., (1988).
- Oritani, T., Fukuhara, N., Okajima, T., Kitamura, F. and Ohsaka, T., “Electrochemical and spectroscopic studies on electron-transfer reaction between novel water-soluble tetrazolium salts and a superoxide ion”, Chem., 357, 2, (2004).
- Hayyan, M., Mjalli, F. S., Hashim, M. A, AlNashef, I. M., Al-Zahrani, S. M. and Chooi, K. L., “Generation of superoxide ion in 1-butyl-1-methylpyrrolidinium trifluoroacetate and its application in the destruction of chloroethanes”, Mol. Liq., 167, 28, (2012).
- Gladyshev, N. F., Gladysheva, T. V., Putin, S. B., Dorokhov, R. V., Simanenkov, E. I., Plotnikov, M. Y. and Rodaev, V. V., “Development of a nanocrystalline material for air regeneration devices”, J. Gen. Chem., 84, 11, (2014).
- LAir, S. A., US Pat. 3767367A, Air Liquide, (1973).
- Kowalski-Trakofler, K. M., Vaught, C. and Brnich, M. J., “Expectations training for miners using self-contained self-rescuers in escapes from underground coal mines”, Occup. Environ. Hyg., 5, 10, (2008).
- Metzger, Z. Z., “Taguchi-method-based CFD study and optimisation of personalised ventilation systems”, Indoor Built Environ., 21, 5, (2011).
- Kackar, R. N., “Off-line quality control, parameter design, and the Taguchi method”, Qual. Technol., 17, 4 (1985).
- Ray, C. D., Ogle, K. Y., Tipps, R. W., Carrasquillo, R. L. and Wieland, P.,“The space station air revitalization subsystem design concept”, SAE Trans., 96, 6 (1987).
- Boyda, R., Miller, C. and Schwartz, M., “Integrated air revitalization system for space station”, SAE Trans., 95, 5 (1986).
- Zhang, J., Guo, Z., Li, H., Huang, J., Wang, W. and Niu, G., CN Pat. 107827082A, Beijing Hengxin Chemical Co Ltd., (2017).
- Rowe, R. C., Sheskey, P. and Quinn, M., Handbook of pharmaceutical excipients, 6th edition, (2009).
- Norouzi, M., Tahernejad, M., Hosseini, S. G. and Tavangar, S., “Taguchi optimization of solvent-antisolvent crystallization to prepare ammonium perchlorate particles”, Eng. Technol., 43, 2215, (2020).
- Gao, N., Jin, L., Hu, H., Huang, X., Zhou, L. and Fan, L., “Potassium superoxide oxygen generation rate and carbon dioxide absorption rate in coal mine refuge chambers”, J. Min. Sci. Technol., 25, 1, (2015).
- Tunón, Å., Gråsjö, J. and Alderborn, G., “Effect of intragranular porosity on compression behaviour of and drug release from reservoir pellets”, J. Pharm. Sci., 19, 5, (2003).
- Author, CN Patent 107827082A, Beijing Hengxin Chemical Co Ltd, (2011).
- Wang, Y., Guo, Z., Guan, Z. and Liu, X., CN Pat. 102874761A, China National Coal Group Corp., (2012).
- Yu, S. Sui, C. and Lu, Y., CN Pat. 102874781A, China National Coal Group Corp., (1988).
- Jackson, C. B. and Werner, R. C., “Manufacture and use of potassium superoxide, in handling and uses of the alkali metals”, Division of Ind. Eng. Chem., 174 (1957).
- George, E. L., US Pat. 392615A, Denver, Colorado, (1987).
- Boryta, D., US Patent 3847837A, Foote Mineral Co., (1974).
- Zini, A., “CO2 absorbent”, University of Defense Sciences and Industries, (1995).
- Roskh, I. C., RU Pat. 109974U1, Donetsk plant of mine rescue equipment”, (2004).
- Rafiee-Tehrani, M. M., “The effect of Ddifferent disintegrants on physical behaviours of a model formulation of prednisolon tablet”, Univ., 12 (1990).