Document Type : Regular Article
Gas Engineering Department, Petroleum University of Technology, Ahvaz, Iran
Basic ScienceDepartment, Petroleum University of Technology, Ahvaz, Iran,
Ziziphus nuts are abundant in Khuzestan province, Iran, and are considered as an unwanted natural biomass waste. The present study is aimed to develop low-cost activated carbon from Ziziphus nuts as a new precursor for the removal of phosphate from the water environment.the iron oxide modification was performed to simultaneously facilitate the adsorbent separation via a simple magnetic process and increase the phosphate removal capacity. The iron oxide/activated carbon composite (IOAC) was characterized using XRD, EDX, SEM, and BET methods. The specific surface area for IOAC reached 569.41 m2/g, comparable to that of the commercial activated carbon. While other similar derived-from-biomasses activated carbon reached the phosphate removal capacity of around 15 mg/g, IOAC demonstrated the excellent phosphate removal performance of as high as 27 mg/g. Also, IOAC showed fast adsorption kinetics, achieving equilibrium in only 60 minutes. According to the results, the pseudo-second-order kinetic model was more consistent with the data related to the phosphate adsorption onto the adsorbent than the pseudo-first-order model. The adsorption results using Langmuir, Freundlich, and Webber-Morris diffusion models were interpreting. The maximum Langmuir adsorption capacity was calculated to be 27 mg/L. The adsorbent was removed from the aqueous solution via a simple magnetic process.
- Bahramian, A., “Hazards identification and the units assessment of a the water treatment plant against pathogenic and biotoxin threats affecting by physicochemical parameters,” Iranian Journal of Chemical Engineering (IJChE), 17 (4), 33 (2020).
- Goscianska, J., Ptaszkowska-Koniarz, M., Frankowski, M., Franus, M., Panek, R. and Franus, W., “Removal of phosphate from water by lanthanum-modified zeolites obtained from fly ash”, Colloid Interface Sci., 513, 72 (2018).
- Conley, D. J., Paerl, H. W., Howarth, R. W., Boesch, D. F., Seitzinger, S. P., Karl E, K. E., Lancelot, C. and Gene E, G. E., “Controlling eutrophication: Nitrogen and phosphorus”, Science, 123, 1014 (2009).
- Wang, J., Chen, J., Jin, Z., Guo, J., Yang, H., Zeng, Y. and Liu, Y., “Simultaneous removal of phosphate and ammonium nitrogen from agricultural runoff by amending soil in lakeside zone of Karst area, Southern China”, Ecosyst. Environ., 289, 106745 (2020).
- Ye, Y., Ngo, H. H., Guo, W., Liu, Y., Li, J., Liu, Y., Zhang, X. and Jia, H., “Insight into chemical phosphate recovery from municipal wastewater”, Total Environ., 576, 159 (2017).
- Karaca, S., Gürses, A., Ejder, M. and Açıkyıldız, M., “Kinetic modeling of liquid-phase adsorption of phosphate on dolomite”, Colloid Interface Sci., 277 (2), 257 (2004).
- Singh, M. and Srivastava, R., “Sequencing batch reactor technology for biological wastewater treatment: A review”, Asia‐Pacific Journal of Chemical Engineering, 6 (1), 3 (2011).
- Yao, Y., Gao, B., Inyang, M., Zimmerman, A. R., Cao, X., Pullammanappallil, P. and Yang, L., “Removal of phosphate from aqueous solution by biochar derived from anaerobically digested sugar beet tailings”, Hazard. Mater., 190 (1-3), 501 (2011).
- Clark, T., Stephenson, T. and Pearce, P., “Phosphorus removal by chemical precipitation in a biological aerated filter”, Water research, 31 (10), 2557 (1997).
- Özacar, M., “Adsorption of phosphate from aqueous solution onto alunite”, Chemosphere, 51 (4), 321 (2003).
- Foletto, E. L., Weber, C. T., Paz, D. S., Mazutti, M. A., Meili, L., Bassaco, M. M. and Collazzo, G. C., “Adsorption of leather dye onto activated carbon prepared from bottle gourd: equilibrium, kinetic and mechanism studies”, Water Sci. Technol., 67 (1), 201 (2013).
- Mohammadi, N., Mousazadeh, B. and Hamoule, T., “Synthesis and characterization of NH2-SiO2@ Cu-MOF as a high-performance adsorbent for Pb ion removal from water environment”, Environment, Development and Sustainability, 23 (58), 1688 (2021).
- Jahanban-Esfahlan, A., Jahanban-Esfahlan, R., Tabibiazar, M., Roufegarinejad, L. and Amarowicz, R., “A Review on the hazardous materials removal using activated carbons derived from walnut (Juglans regia L.) shell”, Iranian Journal of Chemical Engineering (IJChE), 17 (1), 3 (2020).
- Hu, J., Zhao, D. and Wang, X., “Removal of Pb (II) and Cu (II) from aqueous solution using multiwalled carbon nanotubes/iron oxide magnetic composites”, Water Sci. Technol., 63 (5), 917 (2011).
- Abdelrahman, E. A., Abou El-Reash, Y., Youssef, H. M., Kotp, Y. H. and Hegazey, R., “Utilization of rice husk and waste aluminum cans for the synthesis of some nanosized zeolite, zeolite/zeolite, and geopolymer/zeolite products for the efficient removal of Co (II), Cu (II), and Zn (II) ions from aqueous media”, Hazard. Mater., 401, 123813 (2021).
- Ghasemi, M., Ghoreyshi, A., Younesi, H. and Khoshhal, S. K., “Synthesis of a high characteristics activated carbon from walnut shell for the removal of Cr (VI) and Fe (II) from aqueous solution: Single and binary solutes adsorption”, Iranian Journal of Chemical Engineering (IJChE), 12 (4), 28 (2015).
- Haichao, L., Shou-Xin, L. and Shi-Run, Z., “Preparation of high yield nutshell activated carbon”, J. Forestry Science and Technology, 5, 42 (2001).
- Annadurai, G., Juang, R. -S. and Lee, D., “Adsorption of heavy metals from water using banana and orange peels”, Water Sci. Technol., 47 (1), 185 (2003).
- Yao, Y., Gao, B., Inyang, M., Zimmerman, A. R., Cao, X., Pullammanappallil, P. and Yang, L., “Biochar derived from anaerobically digested sugar beet tailings: Characterization and phosphate removal potential”, Technol., 102 (10), 6273 (2011).
- Ju, X., Hou, J., Tang, Y., Sun, Y., Zheng, S. and Xu, Z., “ZrO2 nanoparticles confined in CMK-3 as highly effective sorbent for phosphate adsorption”, Microporous and Mesoporous Materials, 230, 188 (2016).
- Xiong, W., Tong, J., Yang, Z., Zeng, G., Zhou, Y., Wang, D., Song, P., Xu, R., Zhang, C. and Cheng, M., “Adsorption of phosphate from aqueous solution using iron-zirconium modified activated carbon nanofiber: Performance and mechanism”, Colloid Interface Sci., 493, 17 (2017).
- Zhang, L., Zhou, Q., Liu, J., Chang, N., Wan, L. and Chen, J., “Phosphate adsorption on lanthanum hydroxide-doped activated carbon fiber”, Chemical Engineering Journal, 185, 160-167 (2012).
- Zahoor, M. and Ali Khan, F., “Aflatoxin B1 detoxification by magnetic carbon nanostructures prepared from maize straw”, Desalination and Water Treatment, 57 (25), 11893 (2016).
- Nasiruddin Khan, M. and Sarwar, A., “Determination of points of zero charge of natural and treated adsorbents”, Surface Review and Letters, 14 (03), 461 (2007).
- Huang, W., Li, D., Zhu, Y., Xu, K., Li, J., Han, B. and Zhang, Y., “Fabrication of Fe-coordinated diamino-functionalized SBA-15 with hierarchical porosity for phosphate removal”, Materials Letters, 99, 154 (2013).