Document Type : Regular Article
Department of Chemical Engineering, Ahar Branch, Islamic Azad University, Ahar, Iran
The synthesized polystyrene has weaknesses in terms of mechanical, physical and thermal properties which limit the use of this polymer. Therefore, the use of the mixtures of polymers can improve these properties. Different parameters like the mixing speed can affect the quality of the properties of the polymer being prepared from the mixture of several polymers. In this study, different percentages of nanocomposites in different stirring speeds have been added to polystyrene. Different tests have been performed on the prepared polymer and investigating the tests shows that in different stirring speeds the values of the tensile strength and impact resistance of the prepared polymer can be increased while the values of the Vicat Softening Temperature (vicat) and Melt Flow Index (MFI) test numbers remain constant. The obtained results from the laboratory data have been simulated by Artificial Neural Networks (ANNs) in order to predict the results for the points which have not been tested and the simulated results show that the laboratory data covered the simulated data perfectly. The results of tests show that by increasing nanoparticles, the resistance of the polymer against impacts will be increased and in addition, increasing the rate of the stirrer causes all other values of tests to increase.
- Zhang, L., Jiang, Y., Ding, Y., Dakalaks, N., Jeuken, L., Povey, M., O'Neill, A. J. and York, D. W., “Mechanistic investigation in to antibacterial behavior of suspensions of Zon nanoparticles against coli”, Journal of Nanoparticles Research, 12 (5),1625 (2020).
- Li, X., Li, J., Wang, C., Liu, Y. and Deng, H., “Fast self-assembly of polystyrene-b-poly(fluoro methacrylate) into Sub-5 nm microdomains for nanopatterning applications”, Mater. Chem. C, 7 (9), 2535 (2019). (https://doi.org/10.1039/C8TC06480F).
- Ge, Y., Huang, W., Yang, F., Liu, J., Wang, C., Wang, Y., Guo, J., Zhang, F., Song, Y., Xu, S., Fan, D. and Zhang, H., “Beta-lead oxide quantum dot (β-PbO QD)/polystyrene (PS) composite films and their applications in ultrafast photonics”, Nanoscale, 11 (14), 6828 (2019). (https://doi.org/10.1039/c9nr01112a).
- De Leon-Condés, A., Roa-Morales, G., Martínez Barrera, G., Balderas-Hernández, P., Menchaca-Campos, C., and Ureña-Núñez, F., “A novel sulfonated waste polystyrene / iron oxide nanoparticles composite: Green synthesis, characterization and applications”, Journal of Environmental Chemical Engineering, 7 (1), 102841 (2019). (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jece.2018.102841).
- Jin, , He, W., Wang, C. M., Yu, F. and Yang, W., “Covalent modification of graphene oxide and applications in polystyrene composites”, Reactive and Functional Polymers, 146, 104437 (2019). (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.reactfunctpolym.2019.104437).
- Shanmuga Sundar, , Kannan, N., Sundaravadivel, E., Zsolt, S., Mukunthan, K. S., Manokaran, J., Narendranath, J., Kamalakannan, V. P., Kavitha, N. P., Prabhu, N. V. and Balasubramanian, N., “Study on the inflammatory response of PMMA/polystyrene/silica nanocomposite membranes for drug delivery and dental applications”, PLOS ONE, 14 (3), e0209948 (2019). (https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0209948).
- Shrivastava, and Jyung, M. W., “Characterization of enhances antibacterial effects of nano silver nano particles”, J. Nanotechnology, 25 (12),103 (2010).
- Ren, , Meng, N., Yan, H., Bilotti, E. and Reece, M. J., “Remarkably enhanced polarisability and breakdown strength in PVDF-based interactive polymer blends for advanced energy storage applications”, Polymer, 168, (2019). (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.polymer.2019.02.054).
- Yang, , Wang, H., Chen, J., Fu, Z., Zhao, X. and Li, Y., “Copolymers containing two types of reactive groups: New compatibilizer for immiscible PLLA/PA11 polymer blends”, Polymer, 137, 139 (2019). (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.polymer.2019.05.074).
- Korol, , Hejna, A., Burchart-Korol, D., Chmielnicki, B. and Wypior, K., “Water footprint assessment of selected polymers, polymer blends, composites, and biocomposites for industrial application”, Polymers, 11 (11), 1791 (2019). (https://doi.org/10.3390/polym11111791).
- Yu, B., Leung, K. M., Guo, Q., Lau, W. M. and Yang, J., “Synthesis of Ag-TiO2 composite nano thin film for antimicrobial application”, Nanotechnology, 22 (11), 5603 (2011).
- Levytskyi, , Moravskyi, V., Masyuk, A., Kuzuila, R., Graz, K. and Khormyak, U., “Modified densified waste of expanded polystyrene and its blends with polyamide 6”, Polymer Engineering and Science, 60 (5), 935 (2020). (https://doi.org/10.1002/pen.25349).
- Azimi, , Jahani, D. and Nofar, M., “Experimental and numerical analyses of n‑pentane solubility and diffusivity in polystyrene/poly(methyl methacrylate) blends”, J. Chem. Eng. Data, 65 (9), (2020). (https://dx.doi.org/10.1021/acs.jced.0c00444).
- Kazanci, , Cellat, K. and Paksoy, H., “Preparation, characterization, and thermal properties of novel fire-resistant microencapsulated phase change materials based on paraffin and a polystyrene shell”, RSC Adv., 10, 24134 (2020). (https://doi.org/10.1039/d0ra04093b).
- Sekharan, V., Abraham, B. T. and Thachil, E. T., “Utilization of waste expanded polystyrene: Blends with silica-filled natural rubber”, Materials and Design, 40, 221 (2012). (http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.matdes.2012.03.042).
- Kang, , “Finite element analysis for deeply buried concrete pipes in proposed imperfect trench installations with expanded polystyrene (EPS) foams”, Engineering Structures, 189, 286 (2019). (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2019.03.083, 2019).
- Lohar, , Tambe, P. and Jogi, B., “Influence of dual compatibilizer and carbon black on mechanical and thermal properties of PP/ABS blends and their composites”, Composite Interfaces, 27 (12), 1101 (2020). (https://doi.org/10.1080/09276440.2020.1726137).
- Cao, , Dong, W., He, M., Zhang, J., Ren, F. and Li, Y., “Effects of blending sequences and molecular structures of the compatibilizers on the morphology and properties of PLLA/ABS blends”, RSC Adv., 9, 2189 (2019). (https://doi.org/10.1039/c8ra09193e).
- Debbah, , Krach, R., Aranburu, N., Etxeberri, A., Pérez, E. and Benavente, R., “Influence of ABS type and compatibilizer on the thermal and mechanical properties of PC/ABS blends”, International Polymer Processing, 35 (1), (2020). (https://doi.org/10.3139/217.3858).
- Barga, F., LaChance, A. M., Liu, B., Sun, L. and Passador, F. R., “Influence of compatibilizer and carbon nanotubes on mechanical, electrical, and barrier properties of PTT/ABS blends”, Advanced Industrial and Engineering Polymer Research, 2 (3), 121 (2019). (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aiepr.2019.07.002).
- de León, S., Domínguez-Calvo, A. and Molina, S. I., “Materials with enhanced adhesive properties based on acrylonitrile-butadiene-styrene (ABS)/thermoplastic polyurethane (TPU) blends for fused filament fabrication (FFF) ”, Materials & Design, 182, 108044 (2019). (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matdes.2019.108044).
- Zhao, , Yan, D., Fu, X., Zhang, N. and Yang, G., “Effect of ABS types on the morphology and mechanical properties of PA6/ABS blends by in situ reactive extrusion”, Materials Letters, 274, 128013 (2020). (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matlet.2020.128013).
- Wang, K., Li, T., Xie, S., Wu, , Huang, W., Tian, Q., Tu, C. and Yan, W., “Influence of organo-sepiolite on the morphological, mechanical, and rheological properties of PP/ABS blends”, Polymers Journal, 11 (9), 1493 (2019). (https://doi.org/10.3390/polym11091493).
- Hentati, , Hadriche, I., Masmoudi, N. and Bradai, C., “Optimization of the injection molding process for the PC/ABS parts by integrating Taguchi approach and CAE simulation”, The International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, 104, 4353 (2019). (https://doi.org/10.1007/s00170-019-04283-z).
- Derakhshanfard, and Mehralizadeh, A., “Application of artificial neural networks for viscosity of crude oil-based nanofluids containing oxides nanoparticles”, Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering, 168, 263 (2018). (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.petrol.2018.05.018).
- Mehralizadeh, , Derakhshanfard, F. and Ghazitabatabei, Z., “Applications of multi-layer perceptron artificial neural networks for polymerization of expandable polystyrene by multi-stage dosing Initiator”, Iranian Journal of Chemistry & Chemical Engineering, (2021). (https://doi.org/10.30492/IJCCE.2021.125618.4106).
- Ghazanchaie, , Derakhshanfard, F. and Amirkhani, L., “Preparation of expandable polystyrene by multi-stage initiator dosing/ styrene-butadiene-styrene blends with application of artificial neural networks”, Iranian Journal of Chemistry & Chemical Engineering, (2021). (https://doi.org/10.30492/ijcce.2021.523431.4536).
- Mehralizadeh, , Derakhshanfard, F. and Ghazitabatabei, Z., “Studying the influence of the mixing speed of the polymer blend of general-purpose polystyrene and acrylonitrile-butadiene styrene with the applications of artificial neural networks”, Iranian Journal of Chemical Engineering (IJChE), 17 (4), 21 (2020). (https://doi.org/10.22034/ijche.2020.130358).
- Derakhshanfard, and Mehralizadeh, A., “Characterization of polyethylene terephthalate wastes/Acrylonitril-Butadiene styrene (PETW/ABS) composites with applications of artificial neural networks”, SN Applied Sciences, 2, 1730 (2020). (https://doi.org/10.1007/s42452-020-03546-9).