Document Type : Full article
1 Department of Chemical Engineering, Ahar Branch, Islamic Azad University, Ahar, Iran
2 Department Chemistry, Ahar Branch, Islamic Azad University, Ahar, Iran
General Purpose Polystyrene (GPPS) has weak properties and this weakness made the applications of this polymer be limited. Therefore, the use of the mixtures of polymers can improve these properties. Different parameters like the mixing speed can affect the quality of the properties of preparing polymer from the mixture of several polymers. In this research, the polymer blend of GPPS and Acrylonitrile-Butadiene Styrene (ABS) has been investigated. In order to prepare this polymer mixture, GPPS has been considered as the main phase (base polymer) and ABS has been considered as the scattered phase (additive). Firstly, the blended polymers with different weight percentages (0, 0.04, 0.08 and 0.12) of ABS/GPPS in different mixing speeds (30, 40, 50 and 60 rpm) have been prepared and for each mixture, the Melt Flow Index (C), Vicat Softening Temperature, Tensile at Break and impact test have been measured. The laboratory data collected from different tests, has been simulated by the Multi-Layer Perceptron (MLP) method of Artificial Neural Networks (ANN) and the results of the simulated data covered the laboratory data perfectly. The results declare that the presence of ABS in the mixed polymer improved the Tensile strength and thermal properties. In order to reach the highest quality in carried out tests, it is considered to use ABS in a high percentage (0.12) and the maximum possible mixing speed (60 rpm).
- General Purpose Polystyrene (GPPS)
- Artificial Neural Networks (ANN)
- Acrylonitrile-Butadiene Styrene (ABS)
- Li, X., Li, J., Wang, C., Liu, Y. and Deng, H., “Fast self-assembly of polystyrene-b-poly(fluoro methacrylate) into Sub-5 nm microdomains for nanopatterning applications”, Mater. Chem. C, 7 (9), 2535 (2019). (https://doi.org/10.1039/C8TC06480F).
- Ge, Y., Huang, W., Yang, F., Liu, J., Wang, C., Wang, Y., Guo, J., Zhang, F., Song, Y., Xu, S., Fan, D. and Zhang, H., “Beta-lead oxide quantum dot (β-PbO QD)/polystyrene (PS) composite films and their applications in ultrafast photonics”, Nanoscale, 11 (14), 6828 (2019). (https://doi.org/10.1039/c9nr01112a).
- De León-Condés, C. A., Roa-Morales, G., Martínez-Barrera, G., Balderas-Hernández, P., Menchaca-Campos, C. and Ureña-Núñez, F., “A novel sulfonated waste polystyrene/iron oxide nanoparticles composite: Green synthesis, characterization and applications”, Journal of Environmental Chemical Engineering, 7 (1), 102841 (2018). (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jece.2018.102841).
- Jin, M., He, W., Wang, C., Yu, F. and Yang, W., “Covalent modification of graphene oxide and applications in polystyrene composites”, Reactive and Functional Polymers, 146, 104437 (2019). (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.reactfunctpolym.2019.104437).
- Shanmuga Sundar, S., Kannan, N., Sundaravadivel, E., Zsolt, S., Mukunthan, K. S., Manokaran, J., Narendranath, J., Kamalakannan, V. P., Kavitha, N. P., Prabhu, N. V. and Balasubramanian, N., “Study on the inflammatory response of PMMA/polystyrene/silica nanocomposite membranes for drug delivery and dental applications”, PLoS ONE, 14 (3), e0215632 (2019). (https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0215632).
- Derakhshanfard, F., Vaziri, A., Fazeli, N. and Heydarinasab, A., “Optimization of synthesis of expandable polystyrene by multi-stage initiator dosing”, Iranian Journal of Chemical Engineering (IJChE), 13 (1), 20 (2016).
- Derakhshanfard, F., Fazeli, N., Vaziri, A., and Heydarinasab, A., “Kinetic study of the synthesis of expandable polystyrene via “multi-stage initiator dosing” method”, Journal of Polymer Research, 22 (6), Article number: 118, Springer, (2015). (https://doi.org/1007/s10965-015-0766-7).
- Ren, X., Meng, N., Yan, H., Bilotti, E. and Reece, M. J., “Remarkably enhanced polarisability and breakdown strength in PVDF-based interactive polymer blends for advanced energy storage applications”, Polymer, 168, 246 (2019). (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.polymer.2019.02.054).
- Yang, X., Wang, H., Chen, J., Fu, Z., Zhao, X. and Li, Y., “Copolymers containing two types of reactive groups: New compatibilizer for immiscible PLLA/PA11 polymer blends”, Polymer, 177, 139 (2019). (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.polymer.2019.05.074).
- Korol, J., Hejna, A., Burchart-Korol, D., Chmielnicki, B. and Wypior, K., “Water footprint assessment of selected polymers, polymer blends, composites, and biocomposites for industrial application”, Polymers, 11 (11), 1791 (2019). (https://doi.org/10.3390/polym11111791).
- Levytskyi, V., Moravskyi, V., Masyuk, A., Kuzuila, R., Graz, K. and Khormyak, U., “Modified densified waste of expanded polystyrene and its blends with polyamide 6”, Polymer Engineering and Science, 60 (5), 935 (2020). (https://doi.org/10.1002/pen.25349).
- Azimi, H., Jahani, D. and Nofar, M., “Experimental and numerical analyses of n‑pentane solubility and diffusivity in polystyrene/poly(methyl methacrylate) blends”, Chem. Eng. Data, 65 (9), (2020). (https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.jced.0c00444).
- Kazanci, B., Cellat, K. and Paksoy, H., “Preparation, characterization, and thermal properties of novel fire-resistant microencapsulated phase change materials based on paraffin and a polystyrene shell”, RSC Adv., 10, 24134 (2020). (https://doi.org/10.1039/d0ra04093b).
- Sekharan, R. V., Abraham, B. T. and Thachil, E. T., “Utilization of waste expanded polystyrene: Blends with silica-filled natural rubber”, Materials and Design, 40, 221 (2012). (http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.matdes.2012.03.042).
- Kang, J., “Finite element analysis for deeply buried concrete pipes in proposed imperfect trench installations with expanded polystyrene (EPS) foams”, Engineering Structures, 189, 286 (2019). (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2019.03.083).
- Lohar, G., Tambe, P. and Jogi, B., “Influence of dual compatibilizer and carbon black on mechanical and thermal properties of PP/ABS blends and their composites”, Composite Interfaces, 27 (12), 1101 (2020). (https://doi.org/10.1080/09276440.2020.1726137).
- Cao, X., Dong, W., He, M., Zhang, J., Ren, F. and Li, Y., “Effects of blending sequences and molecular structures of the compatibilizers on the morphology and properties of PLLA/ABS blends”, RSC Adv., 9, 2189 (2019). (https://doi.org/10.1039/c8ra09193e).
- Debbah, I., Krache, R., Aranburu, N., Etxeberria, A., Pérez, E. and Benavente, R., “Influence of ABS type and compatibilizer on the thermal and mechanical properties of PC/ABS blends”, International Polymer Processing, 35 (1), (2020). (https://doi.org/10.3139/217.3858).
- Barga, N. F., LaChance, A. M., Liu, B., Sun, L. and Passador, F. R., “Influence of compatibilizer and carbon nanotubes on mechanical, electrical, and barrier properties of PTT/ABS blends”, Advanced Industrial and Engineering Polymer Research, 2, 121e125 (2019). (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aiepr.2019.07.002).
- de León, A. S., Domínguez-Calvo, A. and Molina, S. I., “Materials with enhanced adhesive properties based on acrylonitrile-butadiene-styrene (ABS)/ thermoplastic polyurethane (TPU) blends for fused filament fabrication (FFF)”, Materials & Design, 182, (2019). (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matdes.2019.108044).
- Zhao, D., Yan, D., Fu, X., Zhang, N. and Yang, G., “Effect of ABS types on the morphology and mechanical properties of PA6/ABS blends by in situ reactive extrusion”, Materials Letters, 274, 128013 (2020). (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matlet.2020.128013).
- Wang, K., Li, T., Xie, S., Wu, X., Huang, W., Tian, Q., Tu, C. and Yan, W., “Influence of organo-sepiolite on the morphological, mechanical, and rheological properties of PP/ABS blends”, Polymers, 11 (9), 1493 (2019). (https://doi.org/10.3390/polym11091493).
- Hentati, F., Hadriche, I., Masmoudi, N. and Bradai, C., “Optimization of the injection molding process for the PC/ABS parts by integrating Taguchi approach and CAE simulation”, The International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, 104 (6), (2019). (https://doi.org/10.1007/s00170-019-04283-z).
- Derakhshanfard, F. and Mehralizadeh, A., “Characterization of polyethylene terephthalate wastes/acrylonitril-butadiene styrene (PETW/ABS) composites with applications of artificial neural networks”, SN Appl. Sci., 2, 1730 (2020). (https://doi.org/10.1007/s42452-020-03546-9).
- Derakhshanfard, F. and Mehralizadeh, A., “Application of artificial neural networks for viscosity of crude oil-based nanofluids containing oxides nanoparticles”, Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering, 168, 263 (2018). (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.petrol.2018.05.018).
- Mehralizadeh, A., Derakhshanfard, F. and Ghazi Tabatabei, Z., “Applications of multi-layer perceptron artificial neural networks for polymerization of expandable polystyrene by multi-stage dosing Initiator”, Iranian Journal of Chemistry & Chemical Engineering, In Press, (2021). (https://doi.org/10.30492/ijcce.2021.125618.4106).