Document Type : Regular Article
1 Faculty of Chemical Engineering, Sahand University of Technology, Sahand New Town, Tabriz, Iran
2 Sahand University of Technology
3 Health and Environment Research Center, Tabriz University of Medical Sciences, Tabriz, Iran
4 Department of Chemical Engineering, Behbahan Khatam Alanbia University of Technology, Behbahan, Iran
The removal of Acrylonitrile (AN) from waste gas streams using biological methods, due to their better performance, has recently gained more attraction. The purpose of this research is modeling the AN removal by a bio-filter. The validation of the model is done by using the experimental data of a bench-scale bio-filter bed column including yard waste compost and shredded hard plastics and thickened municipal activated sludge. In this work the kinetics of the biodegradation of Acrylonitrile is first investigated. Then equations of the biofilm and air are obtained at a steady state and constant temperature. The unknown parameters of the model are determined by the least square optimization method along with solving the model equations using MATLAB. For inlet concentrations less than 1 g/m3 the model results show reasonable similarities to the experimental data. The effect of various parameters on the bio-filter performance is evaluated. The Peclet number, biofilm thickness and biomass concentration are the most important parameters. The proposed model can be useful for design purposes.
- Kumar, A., Prasad, B. and Mishra, I. M., “Optimization of process parameters for acrylonitrile removal by a low-cost adsorbent using Box-Behnken design”, Journal of Hazardous Materials, 150 (1), 174 (2008).
- Kumar, A., Prasad, B. and Garg, K. K., “Efficiently degradation of acrylonitrile from aqueous solution by La5Ce0.5MO3 (M= Fe, Cu and Co) perovskite-like catalyst: Optimization and reaction pathways”, Journal of Water Process Engineering, 36, 101314 (2020).
- Bhat, T., Venkataramani, D., Ravi, V. and Murty, C., “An improved differential evolution method for efficient parameter estimation in biofilter modeling”, Biochemical Engineering Journal, 28 (2), 167 (2006).
- Vaiškūnaitė, R., “Cleaning of H2S from polluted air using peat biofilter”, Mokslas–Lietuvos Ateitis/Science–Future of Lithuania, 12, (2020).
- Fleck, R., Pettit, T. J., Douglas, A. N., Irga, P. J. and Torpy, F. R., “Botanical biofiltration for reducing indoor air pollution”, Bio-Based Materials and Biotechnologies for Eco-Efficient Construction, Woodhead Publishing Series in Civil and Structural Engineering, 305 (2020).
- Spigno, G., Zilli, M. and Nicolella, C., “Mathematical modelling and simulation of phenol degradation in biofilters”, Biochemical Engineering Journal, 19 (3), 267 (2004).
- Nikiema, J., Payre, G. and Heitz, M., “A mathematical steady state model for methane bioelimination in a closed biofilter”, Chemical Engineering Journal, 150 (2-3), 418 (2009).
- Hatata, A., El-Gohary, E. H., Abd-Elhamid, H. F. and Said, N., “Application of an artificial neural network for the improvement of agricultural drainage water quality using a submerged biofilter”, Environmental Science and Pollution Research, 28 (5), 5854 (2021).
- Ottengraf, S. and Van Den Oever, A., “Kinetics of organic compound removal from waste gases with a biological filter”, Biotechnology and Bioengineering, 25 (12), 3089 (1983).
- Hodge, D. S. and Devinny, J. S., “Modeling removal of air contaminants by biofiltration”, Journal of Environmental Engineering, 121 (1), 21 (1995).
- Shareefdeen, Z. and Baltzis, B. C., “Biofiltration of toluene vapor under steady-state and transient conditions: Theory and experimental results”, Chemical Engineering Science, 49 (24), 4347 (1994).
- Alonso, C., Zhu, X., Suidan, M. T., Kim, B. R. and Kim, B. J., “Mathematical model of biofiltration of VOCs: Effect of nitrate concentration and backwashing”, Journal of Environmental Engineering, 127 (7), 655 (2001).
- Deshusses, M. A., “Biological waste air treatment in biofilters”, Current opinion in Biotechnology, 8 (3), 335 (1997).
- Baquerizo, G., Gamisans, X., Gabriel, D. and Lafuente, J., “A dynamic model for ammonia abatement by gas-phase biofiltration including pH and leachate modelling”, Biosystems Engineering, 97 (4), 431 (2007).
- Álvarez-Hornos, F. J., Gabaldón, C., Martínez-Soria, V., Marzal, P. and Penya-roja, J. -M., “Mathematical modeling of the biofiltration of ethyl acetate and toluene and their mixture”, Biochemical Engineering Journal, 43 (2), 169 (2009).
- Kiranmai, D., Jyothirmai, A. and Murty, C., “Determination of kinetic parameters in fixed-film bio-reactors: An inverse problem approach”, Biochemical Engineering Journal, 23 (1), 73 (2005).
- Rene, E. R., López, M. E., Veiga, M. C. and Kennes, C., “Neural network models for biological waste-gas treatment systems”, New Biotechnology, 29 (1), 56 (2011).
- Dehghanzadeh, R., Torkian, A., Roshani, B. and Asadi, M., “Evaluation of biofilter performance in the co-treatment of styrene and acrylonitrile vapors mixture”, 377 (2005).
- Fan, L. S., Leyva‐Ramos, R., Wisecarver, K. and Zehner, B., “Diffusion of phenol through a biofilm grown on activated carbon particles in a draft‐tube three‐phase fluidized‐bed bioreactor”, Biotechnology and Bioengineering, 35 (3), 279 (1990).
- Shareefdeen, Z., “Axial dispersion in biofilters”, Eng. J., 1, 77 (1998).
- Wilke, C. and Chang, P., “Correlation of diffusion coefficients in dilute solutions”, AIChE Journal, 1 (2), 264 (1955).
- Wilke, C. and Lee, C., “Estimation of diffusion coefficients for gases and vapors”, Industrial & Engineering Chemistry, 47 (6), 1253 (1955).
- Deshusses, M. A., Hamer, G. and Dunn, I. J., “Behavior of biofilters for waste air biotreatment, 2. Experimental evaluation of a dynamic model”, Environmental Science & Technology, 29 (4), 1059 (1995).
- Deshusses, M. A., Hamer, G. and Dunn, I. J., “Behavior of biofilters for waste air biotreatment, 1. Dynamic model development”, Environmental Science & Technology, 29 (4), 1048 (1995).
- Shareefdeen, Z., Baltzis, B. C., Oh, Y. S. and Bartha, R., “Biofiltration of methanol vapor”, Biotechnology and Bioengineering, 41 (5), 512 (1993).