Document Type : Short Paper
1- Department of Chemical Engineering, Faculty of Petroleum and Chemical Engineering, Razi University, Kermanshah, Iran ,2- Polymer Research Division, Advanced Chemical Engineering Research Center, Razi University, Kermanshah, Iran
In this study, the main purpose has been to investigate the behavior of the nanoparticles with different structures and similar based materials in polymer nanocomposites. To this end, different samples, containing PS as the matrix, and layered graphene oxide (GO) and/or hollow graphene oxide nanoparticles (HGO), were prepared via the melt mixing process and were subjected to heat conduction and tensile tests. To evaluate all features of the interaction between the polymer phase and the nanoparticles, a thermal/mechanical analytical model was proposed and the results were used to simulate the behavior of specific geometrical structures, corresponding to the real samples, under different thermal/mechanical conditions. The results showed good agreement between the obtained experimental data and simulation/analytical model interpretations. In addition, it was found that the HGO nanoparticle had such a good performance in enhancing the thermal and mechanical properties of the nanocomposite, due to its unique structure.
- Graphene Oxide
- Hollow Graphene Oxide
- Polymer Nanocomposites
- Thermal Properties
- Mechanical Properties
- Sharifzadeh, E. and Cheraghi, K., “Temperature-affected mechanical properties of polymer nanocomposites from glassy-state to glass transition temperature”, Mater., 160, 103990 (2021).
- Sharifzadeh, E., Ghasemi, I., Karrabi, M. and Azizi, H., “A new approach in modeling of mechanical properties of nanocomposites: Effect of interface region and random orientation”, Polym. J., 23 (11), 835 (2014).
- Sharifzadeh, E., Tohfegar, E. and Safajou Jahankhanemlou, M., “The influences of the nanoparticles related parameters on the tensile strength of polymer nanocomposites”, Iranian Journal of Chemical Engineering (IJChE), 17 (1), 65 (2020).
- Sharifzadeh, E., “Modeling of the mechanical properties of blend based polymer nanocomposites considering the effects of Janus nanoparticles on polymer/polymer interface”, J. Polym. Sci., 37 (2), 164 (2019).
- Sharifzadeh, E. and Amiri, Y., “The effects of the arrangement of Janus nanoparticles on the tensile strength of blend-based polymer nanocomposites”, Compos., 41 (9), 3585 (2020).
- Sharifzadeh, E., Ghasemi, I., Karrabi, M. and Azizi, H., “A new approach in modeling of mechanical properties of binary phase polymeric blends”, Polym. J., 23 (7), 525 (2014).
- Sharifzadeh, E., Ghasemi, I. and Qarebagh, A. N., “Modeling of blend-based polymer nanocomposites using a knotted approximation of Young’s modulus”, Polym. J., 24 (12), 1039 (2015).
- Sharifzadeh, E., Ghasemi, I. and Safajou Jahankhanemlou, M., “Modulus prediction of binary phase polymeric blends using symmetrical approximation systems as a new approach”, Polym. J., 24 (9), 735 (2015).
- Sharifzadeh, E., “Modeling of the tensile strength of immiscible binary polymer blends considering the effects of polymer/polymer interface and morphological variation”, J. Polym. Sci., 37 (11), 1176 (2019).
- Sharifzadeh, E. and Amiri, Y., “The effects of morphological variation and polymer/polymer interface on the tensile modulus of binary polymer blends: A modeling approach”, Polym. Eng., 41 (2), 109 (2021).
- Sharifzadeh, E., “Evaluating the dependency of polymer/particle interphase thickness to the nanoparticles content, aggregation/agglomeration factor and type of the exerted driving force”, Polym. J., 30 (10), 1063 (2021).
- Kumar, A., Sharma, K. and Dixit, A. R., “A review on the mechanical properties of polymer composites reinforced by carbon nanotubes and graphene”, Carbon Lett., 31 (2), 149 (2021).
- Fu, S., Sun, Z., Huang, P., Li, Y. and Hu, N., “Some basic aspects of polymer nanocomposites: A critical review”, Nano Mater. Sci., 1 (1), 2 (2019).
- Koo, J. H., Fundamentals, properties, and applications of polymer nanocomposites, Cambridge University Press, New York, (2016).
- Njuguna, J., Structural nanocomposites: Perspectives for future applications, Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg, (2013).
- Pourakbar, E. and Sharifzadeh, E., “Synthesis of Janus/non-Janus hollow graphene oxide micro- and nanoparticles and the effects of their localization on the thermal conductivity of blend-based polymer composites”, Mater. Sci., 54 (32), 18078 (2021).
- Zare, Y., “Study of nanoparticles aggregation/agglomeration in polymer particulate nanocomposites by mechanical properties”, Part A Appl. Sci., 84 (1), 158 (2016).
- Santos, R. M., Mould, S. T., Formánek, P., Paiva, M. C. and Covas, J. A., “Effects of particle size and surface chemistry on the dispersion of graphite nanoplates in polypropylene composites”, Polymers, 10 (2), 222 (2018).
- Chanda, S. and Bajwa, D. S., “A review of current physical techniques for dispersion of cellulose nanomaterials in polymer matrices”, Adv. Mater., 60 (1), 325 (2021).
- De Gennes, P. G., “Polymers at an interface, 2. Interaction between two plates carrying adsorbed polymer layers”, Macromolecules, 15 (2), 492 (1982).
- Kango, S., Kalia, S., Celli, A., Njuguna, J., Habibi, Y. and Kumar, R., “Surface modification of inorganic nanoparticles for development of organic–inorganic nanocomposites—A review”, Polym. Sci., 38 (8), 1232 (2013).
- Tohfegar, E., Moghaddas, J. S., Sharifzadeh, E. and Esmaeilzadeh-Dilmaghani, S., “Synthesis and characterization of waterglass-based silica aerogel under heat treatment for adsorption of nitrate from water: Batch and column studies”, Iranian Journal of Chemical Engineering (IJChE), 16 (4), 53 (2019).
- Sharifzadeh, E. and Parsnasab, M., “Direct and reverse desymmetrization process in O/W pickering emulsions to produce hollow graphene oxide Janus micro/nano-particles”, Colloids Surf. A Physicochem. Eng., 619 (1), 126522 (2021).
- Sharifzadeh, E., Salami-Kalajahi, M., Hosseini, M. S. and Razavi Aghjeh, M. K., “Synthesis of silica Janus nanoparticles by buoyancy effect-induced desymmetrization process and their placement at the PS/PMMA interface”, Polym. Sci., 295 (1), 25 (2017).
- Sharifzadeh, E., Salami-Kalajahi, M., Hosseini, M. S. and Razavi Aghjeh, M. K., “A temperature-controlled method to produce Janus nanoparticles using high internal interface systems: Experimental and theoretical approaches”, Colloids Surf. A Physicochem. Eng., 506 (1), 56 (2016).
- Sharifzadeh, E., Salami-Kalajahi, M., Salami Hosseini, M., Razavi Aghjeh, M. K., Najafi, S., Jannati, R. and Hatef, Z., “Defining the characteristics of spherical Janus particles by investigating the behavior of their corresponding particles at the oil/water interface in a pickering emulsion”, Dispersion Sci. Technol., 38 (7), 985 (2017).
- Zamanian-Fard, A., Sharifzadeh, E. and Rajabi, L., “A spontaneous interfacial process to produce silica Janus nanosheets as perfect emulsifiers in pickering emulsions”, Dispersion Sci. Technol., 18 (3), 1 (2020).
- Perro, A., Meunier, F., Schmitt, V. and Ravaine, S., “Production of large quantities of “Janus” nanoparticles using wax-in-water emulsions”, Colloids Surf. A Physicochem. Eng., 332 (1), 57 (2009).
- Sharifzadeh, E. and Mohammadi, R., “Temperature-/frequency-dependent complex viscosity and tensile modulus of polymer nanocomposites from the glassy state to the melting point”, Eng. Sci., 61 (10), 2600 (2021).
- Pesetskii, S. S. and Bogdanovich, S. P., “Polymer composites and nanocomposites”, in Encyclopedia of tribology, Wang, Q. J. and Chung, Y. -W. edition, Springer, Boston, MA., US, p. 2563 (2013).
- Shen, J., Wang, M., Li, J., Guo, S., Xu, S., Zhang, Y., Li, T. and Wen, M., “Simulation of mechanical properties of multilayered propylene–ethylene copolymer/ethylene 1-octene copolymer composites by equivalent box model and its experimental verification”, Polym. J., 45 (11), 3269 (2009).
- Suk, J. W., Piner, R. D., An, J., and Ruoff, R. S., “Mechanical properties of monolayer graphene oxide”, ACS Nano, 4 (11), 6557 (2010).
- Ader, F. and Sharifzadeh, E., “Rheological and mechanical behavior of blend-based polymer nanocomposites containing Janus and non-Janus silica nanoparticles”, Polym. Sci., 299 (1), 1843 (2021).