Document Type : Regular Article
1 Department of Chemical Engineering, South Tehran Branch, Islamic Azad University, Tehran, Iran.
2 Department of Chemical Engineering, Marvdasht Branch, Islamic Azad University, Marvdasht, Iran
One of the methods to reduce the particle size is the GAS method. In this method, the solute and antisolvent should be dissolved well in a solvent. But the solute is not dissolved in a solvent. The aim of studying this model is to determine the phase equilibrium and thermodynamic conditions of (CO2, solvent, 5-Fluorouracil) in the GAS process. The solvents include methanol, ethanol, acetone, 1-propanol, and 1-butanol. The Peng-Robinson equation of state with a linear combination of Vidal and Michelsen mixing rules (PR-LCVM) was used for the thermodynamic modeling. The volume expansion of the binary system (CO2, solvent) and ternary system (CO2, solvent,5-Fluorouracil) at the temperature range of 313.15-319.15 K was investigated. The Pmin values for the binary system were 66.7, 69.6, 60, 73.7, and 76.8 bar respectively for methanol, ethanol, acetone, 1-propanol, and 1-butanol at 313.15 K,. The Pmin for the ternary system was also calculated. The comparison between the Pmin values of binary and ternary systems showed that for a constant temperature and a certain solvent, the calculated minimum pressure in the ternary system was greater than the same in the binary system
- Yoon, T. J., Son, W. S., Park, H. J., Seo, B., Kim, T. and Lee, Y. W., “Tetracycline nanoparticles precipitation using supercritical and liquid CO2 as anti-solvent”, Supercrit. Fluids, 107, 51 (2016).
- Tsai, C. C., Lin, H. M. and Lee, M. J., “Phase equilibrium and micronization for flufenamic acid with supercritical carbon dioxide”, Taiwan Inst. Chem. Eng., 000, 1 (2017).
- Fattahi, A., Karimi-Sabet, J., Keshavarz, A., Golzary, A. A., Rafiee-Tehrani, M. and Dorkoosh, F. A., “Preparation and characterization of simvastatin nanoparticles using rapid expansion of supercritical solution (RESS) with trifluoromethane”, Supercrit. Fluid, 170, 469 (2016).
- Esfandiari, N. and Sajadian, S. A., “CO2 utilization as gas antisolvent for the pharmaceutical micro and nanoparticle production: A review”, Arabian J. Chem., 15, 104164 (2022).
- Ghoreishi, S. M., Hedayat, A. and Kordnejad, M., “Micronization of chitosan via rapid expansion of supercritical solution”, Supercrit. Fluid, 111, 162 (2016).
- Esfandiari, N., “Production of micro and nanoparticles of pharmaceutical by supercritical carbon dioxide”, Supercrit. Fluid, 100, 129 (2015).
- Mendes, M. F., Uller, A. M. C. and Pessoa, F. L. P., “Simulation and thermodynamic modeling of the extraction of tocopherol from a synthetic mixture of tocopherol, squalene, and CO2”, Chem. Eng., 17, 761 (2000).
- Spiliotis, N., Magoulas, K. and Tassios, D., “Prediction of the solubility of aromatic hydrocarbons in supercritical CO2 with EOS/GE models”, Fluid Phase Equilib., 102, 121 (1999).
- Zhang, Q., Yan, X., Zheng, P. and Wang, Z., “Influence factors on activity of Ru–Zn catalysts in selective hydrogenation of benzene”, Chinese J. Chem. Eng., 25, 294 (2017).
- Gerszt, R., Pessoa, F. L. P. and Mendes, M. F., “Phase behavior of sterols and vitamins in supercritical CO2”, J. Chem. Eng., 17, 261 (2000).
- Najafi, M., Esfandiari, N., Honarvar, B. and Arab Aboosadi, Z., “Thermodynamic modeling of the gas-anti solvent (GAS) process for precipitation of finasteride”, Chem. Petrol. Eng., 54, 297 (2020).
- Sajadian, S. A., Ardestani, N. S., Esfandiari, N. and Jouyban, A., “Solubility of favipiravir (as an anti-COVID-19) in supercritical carbon dioxide: An experimental analysis and thermodynamic modeling”, Supercrit. Fluid., 183, 105539 (2022).
- Esfandiari, and Sajadian, S. A., “Experimental and modeling investigation of glibenclamide solubility in supercritical carbon dioxide”, Fluid Phase Equilib., 556, 113408 (2022).
- Esfandiari, N. and Ghoreishi, S. M., “Optimal thermodynamic conditions for ternary system (CO2, DMSO, ampicillin) in supercritical CO2 anti solvent process”, Chem. Eng.,. 502, 31 (2015).
- Liu, Z., Wang, J., Song, L., Yang, G. and Han, B., “Study on the phase behavior of cholesterol–acetone–CO2 system and crystallization of cholesterol by anti-solvent CO2”, Supercrit. Fluid., 24, 1 (2002).
- Tombokan, X. C., Aguda, R. M., Danehower, D. A., Kilpatrick, P. K. and Carbonell, R. G., “Three-component phase behavior of the sclareol-ethyl lactate-carbon dioxide system for GAS applications”, Supercrit. Fluid., 45, 146 (2008).
- Paviani, L. C., Chiari, M. R. S., Crespo, T. R. and Cabral, F. A., “Thermodynamic modeling of phase equilibrium behavior of curcumin-CO2-ethanol”, Proceedings of III Iberoamerican Conference on Supercritical Fluids, Cartagena de Indias, Colombia, (2013).
- de la Fuente, J. C., Shariati, A. and Peters, C. J., “On the selection of optimum thermodynamic conditions for the GAS process”, J. Supercrit., 32, 55 (2004).
- Walas, S. M., Phase equilibria in chemical engineering, 1st, Butterworth-Heinemann, Boston, (1985).
- Rahmanzadeh Derisi, M. and Esfandiari, N., “Effect of solvents on the optimal thermodynamic conditions of ternary system (CO2, Alcohol, Ampicillin) in GAS Process”, Iranian J. Chem. Eng., 17, 37 (2020).
- Mukhopadhyay, M., “Partial molar volume reduction of solvent for solute crystallization using carbon dioxide as anti-solvent”, Supercrit. Fluids., 25, 213 (2003).
- Yazdanshenas, R. and Gharib, F., “Solubility and thermodynamic functions measurement of morin hydrate in different alcohols”, Mol. Liq., 233, 9 (2017).
- Boroujeni, H. C. and Gharib, F., “Solubility and thermodynamic functions of deferasirox in different solvents”, Mol. Liq., 219, 350 (2016).
- Mehl, A., Nascimento, F. P., Falcão, P. W., Pessoa, F. L. P. and Cardozo-Filho, L., “Vapor-liquid equilibrium of carbon dioxide + ethanol: Experimental measurements with acoustic method and thermodynamic modeling”, Thermodyn., 2011, 1 (2011).
- Joung, S. N., Yoo, C. W., Shin, H. Y., Kim, S. Y., Yoo, K. -P., Lee, C. S. and Huh, W. S., “Measurements and correlation of high-pressure VLE of binary CO2–alcohol systems (methanol, ethanol, 2-methoxyethanol and 2-ethoxyethanol)”, Fluid Phase Equilib., 185, 219 (2001).
- Kariznovi, M., Nourozieh, H. and Abedi, J., “Experimental measurements and predictions of density, viscosity, and carbon dioxide solubility in methanol, ethanol, and 1-propanol”, Chem. Thermodynamics, 57, 408 (2013).